Once upon a time, I could read more than one hundred books a year. It would not be unusual for me to mainline a five or six book series in a weekend.
I even, for a time, ran a fairly successful book review website with some of my friends.
Fast forward to two kids later and I’m lucky if I can read one book a month.
If you are my friend on Goodreads, you can see the exact moment I had kids based on my yearly shelves. You can tell again when my second child was born because there is another steep drop in books read for the year -- 2015, the year my son was born two months early and the year I moved from Virginia to North Carolina, I read all of 8 books.
That was about the time I decided to try audiobooks. I had tried them before, but found I couldn’t stay focused on the story as well. But I was desperate to keep reading the amazing stories being put out, so I decided to get an audible account.
Audiobooks have legit saved my reading life.
I still buy books on Kindle, but I also tend to add the “add audible narration” option for a few dollars more. I do this because I like that I can listen to my book in the car on the way to work and then at night I can read on my Kindle and pick up where I left off in the car.
I’m not reading hundreds of books, but I am reading about 2-3 books a month, and as I'm working outside the home while also being a wife and mother, I’m pretty happy with that pace. Also, my favorite thing now is getting to listen to my current read in the car on the way to work.
That said, here are some books I’ve read this past year that I have absolutely loved:
- Labyrinth Lost -- Latinx witches, magical realism, bi MC, amazing world building. I fell in love with this story and was hooked from page one. Looking forward to the next two in the series!
- The Bone Witch -- Fantastic, rich world building -- very lush and vivid. Necromancy and the birth of a villainess! I will add the audio version threw me because two different narrators, but the story is still fantastic, if a little slow paced in some sections.
- Star Wars: Rebel Rising -- The story of Jyn Erso before the events of the movie, Rogue One. It’s my first SW book, and man they go all out for the audio version. There are battle sounds, subtle music cues, some background sounds (ships flying, feet stomping, etc). It’s fantastic. It really helped pull me into the story. Fast-paced and heart wrenching.
- The Hate U Give -- This is my current read and one I've been looking forward to reading for a while now. The story of a girl who witnesses the murder of her unarmed best friend by cops. I listened to the audible sample, and was instantly pulled in by the narrator's voice. Review coming soon to Goodreads.
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear -- I read this in hardback when it first came out and I have thoroughly enjoyed this inspiring guide to living more creatively. I finally got an audible account (one free book a month plus 30% off additional purchases) and knew I needed this book in audio form as well because I go back to it so often.
This post uses some affiliate links, but my endorsements are my own. Should you purchase something using these links, there is no charge to you, but I receive a minor commission that allows me to offset website costs.
This post is also an abridged version of a longer post that is available to Patreon patrons at the $1 tier.